This flamboyant, gothic style chapel dates from the late 15th century and is the oldest monument in Saint-Avold. A centre for worship until the mid-18th century, it was maintained by a hermit. A significant decline in popular devotion was felt during the second half of the 19th century and with its furniture sold, the chapel was abandoned.
In 1966, the Town became the building’s owner and restored it. Its facade is decorated with a splendid 16th century cross. Below the chapel, a magnificent Stations of the Cross created in the 17th century adorned the wall. The church is registred on the additional list of Historical Monuments.
Outside visit only.
Chapel of the counts of Crehange
Former house belonging to the Créhange family and used by the bishops of Metz and the counts of Nassau-Sarrebruck, this flamboyant, gothic style chapel (rib vault in a star, liernes and tercerons) was built in the 16thcentury.
The keystones bear the arms of the House of Créhange and the Mansfeld family. Using as a skittle alley, a shelter during the last war and a provisions cellar, it was restored in 1986 and classified as a Historic Monument.
Open from 7:30 am to 12:00 pm and 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm, except Monday mornings.
The Holy trinity chapel
At the corner of Avenue Clémenceau and rue de la Chapelle.
It was built in 1714 by the miller Herman Richard, at the crossroads of “the Sarrelouis road” and the path leading to his mill. It was blessed on January 14, 1721 by François-Louis Le Royer de Montclos, archpriest from 1692 to 1726 and chaplain to the Duke of Lorraine Léopold (1679-1729).
It stood in the middle of the countryside for nearly three centuries. With the extension of the city to the north, the chapel is now located in an urban area on the old road to Sarrelouis, which has become a major thoroughfare.
Rustic in style, this modest-sized chapel is built on a rectangular plan with a polygonal apse facing east. Its slate roof overhangs widely to the west, thus protecting the portal and the statute of Saint Michael in its niche.
Outside visit only.